Is it already that time of year again? The stores have stocked their shelves
with back-to-school supplies. Department stores have their fall, back-to-school
clothing on the racks and models. School buses are back on the roads.
It is time for motorists, parents, and children to play it safe while
driving to and from work/school and walking to/from school bus stops.
If your child is walking to school or to a bus stop, remember the following:
- walk with another classmate or group of children (a responsible adult
would be even better!)
- use the sidewalk. If no sidewalk, walk in the opposite direction of traffic.
- always cross the street at a crosswalk or a street corner with an intersection.
- always look both ways.
- do not dart out between parked cars.
If driving to work/school during the morning/afternoon rush hour and sharing
the road with school buses and children walking to school, remember the
- it is illegal in all 50 states to pass a school bus that is loading or
- be alert. Children are unpredictable. The area within 10 feet of the
school bus is most dangerous for the children. Slow down and give them
a chance to get to a safe place - either on the sidewalk or loaded into the bus.
- obey all school zone speed limits. Not only is it a costly mistake, it
could be deadly.
are avoidable, yet they happen far too often. Slow down, don’t text,
and obey the rules of the road! If you or a loved one has been injured
in a bus accident, call the Indiana Bus Accident Attorneys at Crossen
Kooi Law. (888) 366-4215.