Indiana Military Families Among Those Affected by Supreme Court Military Medical Malpractice Decision
Indiana military families will not be able to file Medical Malpractice claims for malpractice that occurs at military hospitals. That’s because the United States Supreme Court decided it will not hear a case that would have stripped the protection military doctors and nurses have from medical malpractice lawsuits. The shield from military Medical Malpractice and Medical Negligence lawsuits stems from a 1950 Supreme Court decision and is known as the Feres Doctrine.
Fox News reports that in response to the Supreme Court declining to hear this latest case, lawmakers say they will again propose legislation to change the law that prohibits military medical malpractice lawsuits. If lawmakers are successful in overturning the Feres doctrine, the Congressional Budget Office estimates it will cost the government about $135 million every year in claims.
Military doctors and nurses aren’t the only ones immune from medical malpractice lawsuits. For example, in Indiana, the Indiana State Medical Association explains some doctors are protected from medical malpractice liability in specific cases like some volunteer work and some work at community health centers and free clinics. In general, medical malpractice lawsuits in Indiana are guided by the Indiana Compensation Act for Patients.
Experienced Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Lawyers are well-aware of the legal changes and challenges medical malpractice laws are facing. If you or someone you love is suffering from a medical error, the Medical Negligence Attorneys at Kooi can offer solid advice. Contact the Indiana Medical Malpractice Lawyers for a FREE consultation.
- I Got Hit by a Car on My Bike—Can I Sue?
- How Much Does an Indianapolis Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
- Can I File a Workers Comp Claim If I Was Laid Off for Coronavirus?
- Understanding Indiana’s Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
- How Is Fair Market Value Determined After a Car Accident in Indiana?
- How to Deal with Work Comp Doctors in Indiana
- Dangerous Roads in Indiana
- Parking Lot Accident in Indianapolis: Can I Sue?
- Injured at Work in Indiana? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Things to Know About Indiana’s Dog Bite Laws