I was constantly updated on my case and am very happy with my settlement. Lindsey B.
Fights hard for clients and delivers great results. He's one of the best. Adam B.
They not only got me the settlement I needed but the settlement I deserved. David C.

Can I Sue a Hospital for Malpractice?

When you’re hurt or ill, you expect to be able to turn to your doctor or hospital for help. But you may have left with more severe injuries and illnesses than before. Accidents happen, but when doctors are careless, you may have a claim for medical malpractice.

But who can be sued for malpractice? In some cases, even a hospital can be sued for malpractice. An Indianapolis personal injury lawyer at Kooi Law can review the details of your illness or injuries and determine who the at-fault party is for your claim.

Who’s Liable for Malpractice Claims?

When you’re hurt by medical malpractice, your first step toward compensation is determining who’s at fault for those injuries. For example, you may have been injured because your doctor was careless during surgery. Maybe you contracted another illness within the hospital because the nurse failed to use sterile medical tools while tending to your needs.

But even in these cases, the individual Indiana doctor is usually not the at-fault party in your lawsuit. While they may have caused your injuries, the at-fault party is typically the hospital. They chose to employ the people who harmed you, and they may be held responsible for their employees’ actions. Because of this, many medical malpractice claims are ultimately settled with the hospital.

Compensation for Malpractice Victims

When you’re hurt by a careless doctor or nurse, you may be eligible for compensation that covers the costs of your damages. Your damages are the suffering and costs you experienced because of the injury or illness. These damages can be economic or non-economic to cover the financial, emotional, and mental costs of medical malpractice.

Economic damages generally cover the financial costs of your illness. For example, you may have medical bills piling up, or you may need long-term accommodations for a serious illness or injury. Let’s say you’re unable to walk. You may need wheelchair ramps installed so you can enter your home.

Non-economic damages cover the intangible parts of your suffering, though these damages may be capped by state law. For example, you may have suffered a lot of pain because of your medical condition. You may be compensated for that pain and suffering. But you may need special tools to calculate these damages. Talk to your lawyer about what you may be due for your damages.

Speak with a Malpractice Attorney Near You

Sometimes, even the best doctors can make devastating mistakes that leave you seriously injured following an accident. You may be having trouble getting compensated and suing the right group. But that doesn’t mean you’re out of options.

The lawyers at Kooi Law are here to help you hold the at-fault party liable for their actions when you’ve been injured or made ill in someone’s care. If they failed to protect your health, begin with a free consultation with your lawyer. Call 317-569-1335 or complete the following online contact form to learn more about your options for recovery. 

  • No pressure.
  • speak to an attorney.
  • no hidden fees.

NOBLESVILLE 17665 Pebble Center Noblesville, IN 46062

Get Directions

(317) 569-1335

Start Live Chat? Yes No