I was constantly updated on my case and am very happy with my settlement. Lindsey B.
Fights hard for clients and delivers great results. He's one of the best. Adam B.
They not only got me the settlement I needed but the settlement I deserved. David C.

Can I Bring a Personal Injury Claim on Behalf of a Child in Indiana?

No one wants to see a child injured, but sadly, it happens every day. Seeing a child suffer because someone was careless with their safety is unbearable. They deserve help for the pain they’ve suffered through. Often this comes in the form of a personal injury claim as recompense for their losses.

As their parent or guardian, you’re likely wondering, “Can I bring a personal injury claim on behalf of a child in Indiana?”

If you believe a child in your care needs that compensation to recover, speak with a lawyer from Kooi Law. They’ll have the tools necessary to ensure the child gets the help they need during this difficult time.

Filing for a Child

When your underage child is injured, they can’t file for themselves. Fortunately, you’ll have the chance to file for them. They’re your child, which means you’re responsible for their losses and expenses.

In some cases, you may be able to file for yourself, and your child may be able to file separately when they’re older. You’ll be able to seek damages for the losses you faced, such as damaged property and medical bills, while your child may file for damages to any property in their name.

Once the claim is settled, you may not get that money right away, depending on the situation. Typically, the settlement or compensation is placed in a safe fund or in control of the guardian, to be used for the child’s benefit or for the child to access when they’re older. This might be a trust fund, education fund, or a court-monitored bank account.

Time Limitations for an Underage Injury Claim

Because your child is a minor, the time limits on an injury claim aren’t your typical injury time limits. Normally, you would only have two years to file a claim. If you failed to act within that limit, you’d be barred from recovery.

But, because a child isn’t legally able to file at the time of the injury, however, they should have two years from their eighteenth birthday to file a claim. The clock doesn’t start counting down until they’re old enough to act on their injuries and fight for their claim.

Evidence can decay or be lost over time, though, so it’s well-advised to speak to your lawyer about acting now. You’ll need a strong claim for your child’s injuries, and an experienced lawyer can gather the necessary evidence.

A Lawyer Can Help Your Injured Child

Knowing that your child has suffered a major injury can be devastating. Worse, someone else might be responsible for their suffering. You’ll need to seek compensation for their losses, but you have a question: Can you bring a personal injury claim on behalf of a child in Indiana?

You’ll have the opportunity to fight back for your child, but you’ll need the right lawyer. At Kooi Law, we’re ready to fight for the full compensation your child deserves. We’ll guide you through the process, starting with a free consultation, until your child has the recompense they deserve.

Ready to get started? Contact our firm by calling 317-569-1335 or by filling out the online form at the bottom of the page.

  • No pressure.
  • speak to an attorney.
  • no hidden fees.

NOBLESVILLE 17665 Pebble Center Noblesville, IN 46062

Get Directions

(317) 569-1335

Start Live Chat? Yes No