Spotting Signs of Nursing Home Neglect & Abuse
When a family decides to admit one of their elderly or disabled loved ones to a nursing home facility, it’s normal to have a certain level of anxiety. Will they acclimate themselves to their new environment? Will they lead fulfilling lives there? Will they be treated right? It can be difficult to determine these things within the confines of visiting hours, even when visits are frequent. However, there are unmistakable signs that neglect or abuse could be occurring and action needs to be taken.
It is advisable to be vigilant of the following signs:
- Sudden resident weight loss (or malnutrition)
- Dramatic change is personality
- Decline in hygiene
- Bedsores (pressure ulcers)
- Unexplained bruises or cuts
- Lack of resident interaction with staff
- Missing or broken personal items (including money)
- Chronic lack of facility cleanliness
“What should we do?”
It’s important to evaluate your circumstances before taking decisive action. For instance, a single broken personal item over the course of nine months of no other incident is probably not cause for alarm—especially if there is an explanation. However, broken items paired with other signs, such as hygiene issues and room/facility cleanliness issues, is may be grounds to speak with facility administrators and, if necessary, contact an attorney.
If the signs are more urgent and the resident’s health is at risk, then action should be taken right away. Bruises, bedsores, or other health complications caused by mistreatment call for the immediate removal of a resident. A dedicated and resourceful Indiana nursing home abuse attorney can help you facilitate this action and, if necessary, even help find an alternate residence where they will be properly cared for.
If you believe that your loved one is suffering at the hands of nursing home staff, then we are ready to hear your story. At Kooi, we have helped hundreds of wrongly injured clients receive the relief they deserve. We are ready to help you and your family hold the facilities in questions responsible for this breach of trust and allow you and your loved one to move on from this difficult time with the compensation and dignity you deserve.
Start exploring your options. Call us at 888.366.4215 today.
- How to Deal with Work Comp Doctors in Indiana
- Dangerous Roads in Indiana
- Parking Lot Accident in Indianapolis: Can I Sue?
- Injured at Work in Indiana? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Things to Know About Indiana’s Dog Bite Laws
- Indianapolis Car Accidents: Three Reasons to Call a Lawyer
- How Do Rideshare Accident Lawsuits Work in Indiana?
- Indianapolis Electric Scooter Injuries: Can I Sue?
- Questions to Ask Your Lawyer Before Your Injury Lawsuit Goes to Court
- What if I’m Partially at Fault for My Slip-and-Fall Accident?