Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services Issues Nursing Home Residents Rights List
Through their website, Medicare.gov, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and Medicare are now publishing what they describe as Nursing Home Resident Rights.
Per current law, Nursing home residents have certain rights and protections, and all nursing homes are required to provide this list to new residents and publish a copy in their facility.
Some of these resident rights include:
-The right to be treated with dignity and respect.
-The right to be informed in writing about services and fees before you enter the nursing home.
-The right to manage your own money or to choose someone else you trust to do this for you.
-The right to privacy, and to keep and use your personal belongings and property as long as it doesn’t interfere with the rights, health, or safety of others.
-The right to be informed about your medical condition, medications, and to see your own doctor. You also have the right to refuse medications and treatments.
-The right to have a choice over your schedule (for example, when you get up and go to sleep), your activities and other preferences that are important to you.
-The right to an environment more like a home that maximizes your comfort and provides you with assistance to be as independent as possible.
Nursing homes vary in the quality of care and services they provide to their residents. Reviewing health inspection results, staffing data, and quality measure data are three important ways to measure nursing home quality. This information gives you a “snap shot” of the care individual nursing homes give.
One of the most important things to do is to visit the nursing homes you are considering. If possible, also contact your Long-Term Care Ombudsman or State Survey Agency before making a decision. Take a copy of the Nursing Home Checklist when you visit a nursing home and talk to the nursing home staff about the information on this website.
- I Got Hit by a Car on My Bike—Can I Sue?
- How Much Does an Indianapolis Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
- Can I File a Workers Comp Claim If I Was Laid Off for Coronavirus?
- Understanding Indiana’s Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
- How Is Fair Market Value Determined After a Car Accident in Indiana?
- How to Deal with Work Comp Doctors in Indiana
- Dangerous Roads in Indiana
- Parking Lot Accident in Indianapolis: Can I Sue?
- Injured at Work in Indiana? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Things to Know About Indiana’s Dog Bite Laws