July 12, 2020
Indiana Work Injury Statistics
Information from Workers’ Comp Attorneys in Indiana
- Indiana Construction work continues to be one of the most dangerous occupations in the country. Americans employed in the construction industry died from work related injuries at a rate of 15.2 deaths per 100,000 workers in the field.
- The leading causes of death among Indiana construction workers continues to involve falls from height, car accidents,trucking accidents or semi accidents, electrocution, machine malfunction, and being struck by falling objects.
- Each year, more than 4.1 million people in the United States suffer a workplace injury or occupational illness.
- About 4.4 employees per 100 are injured on the job in the United States Annually.
- In excess of 2 million American workers are injured on the job severely enough to miss work and require ongoing medical care.
- Business with between 50 and 249 employees sustain more work injuries than any other.
- Businesses with less than 11 employees remain at the lowest risk for having employees suffer an injury in the workplace.
- 165 American workers die from work related disease people die from occupational diseases daily and nearly 18 additional American workers die from a work injuries daily. This total sum amounts to more than 1,000 deaths per year in the workplace.
- Work injuries deaths, and illnesses cost employees nearly $155.5 billion Dollars annually.
- Only about 4 percent of all work-related incidents can be contributed to technical issues (i. e . equipment failure); thus, suggesting most incidents and work injuries in Indiana are preventable.
- Employees in the health care industry account for nearly 6.5 percent of work-related injuries or occupational illnesses.
- Construction workers account for 1 in 5 workplace deaths and 1 in 10 nonfatal on-the-job injuries and illnesses in 2004.
- Car crashes are the leading cause of workplace fatalities, causing about 1,300 worker deaths each year.
- Injuries involving Latino workers occur at a highly disproportionate rate. Many experts believe this is due to the high percentage those workers in the construction field and language barriers which create safety concerns.
Were you injured on the job in Indiana? Contact Kooi to request a free case evaluation with our firm!