Probe Finds Notre Dame Used Outdated Weather Report When Student Died While On The Job
The University of Notre Dame in Indiana is releasing new information in the death of Illinois’s Declan Sullivan who was a student at the school and filming football practice when he fell to his death. School officials say after investigating, they found the football staff wasn’t using the most up-to-date National Weather Service report the day Sullivan died. The 20-year old died when windy conditions caused the hydraulic lift he was on to tumble over while he was on the job. On the job injuries can be deemed Work Comp injuries because a victim suffers them while in the course and scope of employment.
As reported by www.theindychannel.com in the article,”Probe: Notre Dame Used Old Weather Info on Day Student Died,” the National Weather Service had released a warning of wind gusts near 40 miles per hour. That warning apparently came at 2:54PM just about 45 minutes before football practice at 3:45PM. The university’s probe found the football staff was apparently relying on a weather report from 1:54PM that showed wind gusts of 29 miles per hour. The wind speed was at more than 50 miles per hour at the time the lift Sullivan was on blew over. The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration has already fined the University of Notre Dame more than $75,000 for violations connected to the student’s on the job death.
On the job or Work Comp accidents can happen in all different jobs and at all different times. And unfortunately, sometimes, they can be fatal. According to the Indiana Department of Labor, in 2009, 123 workers were killed on the job in the Hoosier state.
- I Got Hit by a Car on My Bike—Can I Sue?
- How Much Does an Indianapolis Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
- Can I File a Workers Comp Claim If I Was Laid Off for Coronavirus?
- Understanding Indiana’s Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
- How Is Fair Market Value Determined After a Car Accident in Indiana?
- How to Deal with Work Comp Doctors in Indiana
- Dangerous Roads in Indiana
- Parking Lot Accident in Indianapolis: Can I Sue?
- Injured at Work in Indiana? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Things to Know About Indiana’s Dog Bite Laws