What Damages Can I Recover After a Car Accident?
After being injured in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence or reckless behavior, you have every right to take legal action and pursue a personal injury claim. One of the first steps in filing a claim, however, is to understand the damages you are entitled to recover.
Pain and Suffering
These damages cover any mental and emotional anguish that was directly caused by the accident. This can include high stress, anxiety, and panic attacks. Because pain and suffering cannot be exactly calculated, they fall under what is referred to as “general damages.”
This is perhaps the most obvious and common damage recovered after a car accident. Whether your injury requires short term treatment or continuous lifelong medical care, medical bills can easily start piling up. Medical expenses, along with loss of wages and income, are known as special damages – they are economic losses that can be exactly calculated.
Damages covering medical costs can include:
- Hospital bills
- Ambulance fee
- In home care
- Medical accessories (this can include crutches or a wheelchair)
Loss of Wages
This damage refers to any wages you cannot earn because of your injury. Any follow-up procedures and doctor appointments may be scheduled during regular work hours. For injuries that are permanent or cause a long-lasting disability, you may be able to recover “lost earning capacity.”
Loss of Companionship
Some injuries are so severe that they diminish your ability to show affection with a partner or spouse. This type of damage is also known as loss of consortium. Unlike other damages, loss of companionship or consortium is claimed by the spouse of the victim – but usually can only be claimed if you claim damages for your own injuries.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, do not hesitate to retain representation from the dedicated legal team at Kooi Law. Let our Indianapolis car accident attorneysshoulder your legal burden so you can focus on healing. Call our firm at (888) 366- 4215 or contact us online toschedule your free case evaluation.
- I Got Hit by a Car on My Bike—Can I Sue?
- How Much Does an Indianapolis Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
- Can I File a Workers Comp Claim If I Was Laid Off for Coronavirus?
- Understanding Indiana’s Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
- How Is Fair Market Value Determined After a Car Accident in Indiana?
- How to Deal with Work Comp Doctors in Indiana
- Dangerous Roads in Indiana
- Parking Lot Accident in Indianapolis: Can I Sue?
- Injured at Work in Indiana? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Things to Know About Indiana’s Dog Bite Laws