What Is the Medical Review Panel
As you probably know, filing a medical malpractice lawsuit in the State of Indiana can be an uphill battle. At Kooi Law, we are ready to fight that battle on your behalf. Attorney Jeff Kooi has 15 years of experience holding medical professionals accountable for their sometimes fatal errors.
The process for filling a medical malpractice claim with the Indiana Department of Insurance can be a daunting task without the experienced help of a medical malpractice attorney. Allow us to explain just one portion of this process – the Medical Review Panel.
Once your attorney has filed a proposed complaint with the Indiana Department of Insurance, the process for forming the medical review panel will begin. The panel will consist of four professionals – three healthcare professionals and one attorney. While the attorney sits on the panel, he/she does not have voting authority. The plaintiff’s attorney and the defendant’s attorney each are allowed to pick one member of the panel. The two chosen members then select the third healthcare professional in order to complete the voting members of the panel. Two members of the panel must practice in the field in which the malpractice occurred.
The members of the panel must answer the following questions: Was there a deviation from the standard of care? Did the deviation from the standard of care lead to the damages as outlined in the complaint?
Be sure to check back later this month as we explain what happens in this process after the Medical Review Panel has been formed and an opinion has been reached.
- The Dangers of a Rollover Accident
- Can I Collect Workers Comp and Retirement?
- How to Sue for a Hit-and-Run Accident
- Illnesses Covered by Indiana Workers Comp
- How to Identify Nursing Home Abuse
- How to Prepare for a Deposition
- Can I Choose My Own Doctor After a Work Accident?
- I Got Hit by a Car on My Bike—Can I Sue?
- How Much Does an Indianapolis Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
- Can I File a Workers Comp Claim If I Was Laid Off for Coronavirus?